Drowning on Vacation




I woke up in a vacation rental home in Hawaii. It was a Spanish style house with red breaks throughout.The windows were nothing more then red shutters. The front door facing a small hill that led directly to the ocean. The scenery was majestic and calming. The hill had a fresh vibrant green hue throughout. And random assortment of trees at the bottom. There were neighbors on either side of the house, but far away enough for privacy.



My sister and mom were surprise we were able to get the house for free through something we had won. As they checked out the place, I decided to go to the front door to find my boyfriend. I see him standing in the porch admiring the scenery. The ocean was spectacular. The water had a nearly transparent blue color that sparkled with the sunlight. I came out the greet him and he gives me a hug. We stood there talking about how lucky we are and started making plans for our stay. Where we would go, things we would do, and so on.

My mom found her room and decided it was time to relax after the long trip. My sister came to greet us and we all stood there momentarily in silence admiring the views. She began asking about swimming in the ocean. I told her that it should be fine, but to make sure one of us is watching her the entire time. My boyfriend interjected and said, "I don't know about these waters babe. Depending on where you go, the water can get really rough and dangerous." I nodded, but kept my eyes on the water. As we stood there and carried on with our conversation, I noticed the water started to rise slowly. Waves were increasing in size, and no longer had it's majestic nature. I was suddenly overwhelm with a sense of worry. My mind trying to process if we were actually safe. Considering how close we are to the ocean and with the glassless windows surrounding the house, I asked myself, "are we actually safe to be here?" Since we were still so high up from the sea level, my sister insisted everything should be fine.

The waters continued to rise and waves getting larger in size. I panicked and told everyone to get inside immediately. I opened the glass door covering the front door and looked back to beckon my boyfriend and sister inside. Fear suddenly rushed over me as a wave approaches the house. We felt the water splash at our feet and my boyfriend suddenly rushed inside. As another started coming, far larger then before,  I frantically closed the glass door. The wave was now half way up the door and my boyfriend and I pressed ourselves against the fragile glass to prevent the water from getting in. I suddenly realized my sister was still on the porch and she was slowly being swept away by the waves. I threw the door open and rushed into the water. I managed to grab her with my right arm, and we both fought our way back to the house. When we finally planted our feel on the ground, we immediately rushed to the house. It was just in time, because another wave even larger then the last slams on the door behind us. We all stood there bracing the door as water began leaking in.



The next day, we looked around the house to see if anything was damaged. And to our amazement, not a single thing was damaged or missing. However, when we looked over to our neighbors to the left, we saw a swarm of people standing on the dock. Apparently one of the neighbors was killed in the storm. Oddly enough, rather then taking the appropriate actions to simply scoop up the body that was floating in the water and taking him away, they covered him with a flipped over black inflatable boat.


I pulled out my map, which for some reason was on a pokedex and started looking at the area. The map was also laid out in a similar fashion. You had your various regions, pokemon centers, shops, and even a gym. What really caught my attention was a volcano in the south-west region signified by a fire symbol and animated smoke. I began walking around the city. The entire city was firmly planted on top of a hill. It was spacious and open but didn't have many residence. As I'm walking through the city, I pulled out my phone and instinctively began taking a video to later post to social media. It was another perfect warm day, clear skies, soft breeze, and vibrant ocean. I took several videos as I walked, making sure to get the best angles, zooming in periodically to make sure people watching could clearly see the ocean.



Suddenly, a little boy showed up, he asked me what I was doing. But when I tried talking to him, he completely ignored me. When I finally make it back to the house, my boyfriend and sister were standing on the porch telling me how they over heard some of the towns people complaining about how the neighbors body wasn't properly handled. I agreed and looked over to the black boat covering the body.



Crystal Tran















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Classroom Guilt

Listen to the Sound of the Planet

Deformed Baby as Bait